Job Title: Associate Attorney
Duration: 2-year position, beginning September 2020
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Location: Oakland, CA
Context: Sierra Club enforces environmental laws and targets the nation’s most pressing environmental issues through strategic legal advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels. Attorneys in the Environmental Law Program litigate cases in support of Sierra Club’s national campaigns. For more information, visit us at http://www.sierraclub.org/environmentallaw
Scope: The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program seeks an associate attorney to begin work at Sierra Club national headquarters in Oakland, California starting in September 2020. As part of the national Sierra Club’s legal team, the associate attorney helps coordinate all aspects of the Club’s legal work. Working with senior and staff attorneys, the associate attorney evaluates proposed Sierra Club environmental litigation and prepares formal written recommendations for the Club’s decision makers; provides legal advice to Sierra Club chapters around the country; helps strategize and implement programmatic legal campaigns; and participates as counsel in select litigation matters aimed at advancing the Sierra Club’s national campaigns.
The Environmental Law Program directs legal strategy for the Sierra Club’s campaigns, including Beyond Coal, Beyond Dirty Fuels, and Our Wild America. We litigate cases and coordinate legal work among campaigns, state-level chapters, and partner coalitions.
- Evaluate proposed environmental litigation so that national volunteer and staff leadership can decide whether the Sierra Club should participate in a lawsuit.
- Oversee and administer ongoing litigation so that the Sierra Club can maintain an overview of its litigation docket; help resolve problems that arise in individual lawsuits.
- Advise local chapters and other volunteer entities on legal matters.
- Assist litigating key lawsuits under the supervision and mentorship of senior and staff attorneys.
- Law school graduate by September 2020 admitted to or willing to apply for admission to the California Bar.
- 0–3 years of post-law school graduation experience.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus building skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Passion for the Sierra Club’s mission to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Knowledge of environmental law (preferred).
In 2015, Sierra Club formalized its vision for an internal transformation to become a more equitable and inclusive organization. Sierra Club and its Environmental Law Program recognize that the environmental movement and the field of law have historically been white, wealthy, and male-dominated, and given that history, we are committed to creating a workplace where people from all social identities and backgrounds feel welcome and can thrive. We strive to become an organization that attracts, retains, and celebrates people from all avenues of life that share our values. The Sierra Club has adopted the Jemez Principles, a set of guidelines designed to help people from different cultures, communities, politics, and organizations work together in solidarity. The Environmental Law Program strives to conduct litigation in accordance with the Jemez Principles and in furtherance of Sierra Club’s vision of becoming a more equitable and inclusive organization. For more information about our commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice, please visit: sierraclub.org/equity.
To Apply: Please visit sierraclub.org/careers to apply for this position. The hiring committee will begin reviewing applications on September 9, 2019. We aim to start interviews mid-September with a goal of hiring by late September, or until the position is filled. Please attach a cover letter, resume, references, writing sample, and law school transcript. In addition, please provide a separate statement of 250 words or less addressing steps you’ve taken or experiences you’ve had that have deepened your understanding of social or environmental justice issues; and your past work or other experience that demonstrates your commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.