The position will be part of AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy team. The Counsel reports to the California Director who is stationed in AFJ’s Southern California office. This position is based in AFJ’s Northern California office in San Francisco, CA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Master and stay up to date on federal tax and election law for tax exempt organizations and effectively convey the material for a non-legal audience.
- Master and stay up to date on CA state law on lobbying disclosure, ballot measure, and campaign finance issues impacting advocacy organizations and effectively convey the material for a non-legal audience.
- Become familiar with local lobbying disclosure ordinances and other local advocacy laws in California.
- Travel to, plan, and conduct workshops for nonprofit organizations and foundations on federal tax and election rules, CA state law, and relevant local laws governing their ability to participate in public policy. Also participate in the publicity/outreach and logistics needed to reach the desired audience.
- Provide technical assistance to nonprofits and foundations on federal tax and federal election law as well as CA state law and relevant local law that impacts advocacy organizations.
- Travel to, plan, and conduct workshops on capacity assessment for advocacy and community organizing. Also participate in the publicity/outreach and logistics needed to reach the desired audience.
- Write relevant technical assistance guides, blog posts, factsheets, articles, op-eds, regulatory comments, and occasional amicus briefs.
- Participate in policy advocacy impacting the rights of nonprofits to engage in advocacy and other subjects as relevant opportunities arise.
- Collaborate with staff from other AFJ programs to deliver appropriate program content, program activities, and special events.
- Support the Development team and the California Director in fundraising and grant management efforts.
- Represent the organization at conferences of nonprofits and foundations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Law degree, CA bar membership, and 2 to 5 years of experience as a practicing attorney or advocate. Additional years of experience will be rated higher in the salary range.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to write clearly and quickly (Spanish or other relevant non-English language skills a plus).
- Strong collaborator, and ability to adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Ability to work with a wide range of individuals and interests.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Commitment to social justice causes.
- Experience conducting training programs and working with coalitions and community organizing groups preferred.
- Experience working at or representing nonprofit organizations preferred.
- Experience with lobbying or advocacy campaigns preferred.
- Knowledge of federal tax and election law and CA state lobbying and election laws preferred.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Some occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary range is $80,000-90,000, commensurate with experience. Position includes health and other benefits.
Qualified applicants please click here to apply online. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)